Method for stretching timing belts

One of the actuator modules I built for my Solo8 ended up being pretty tight in that it required considerably more force than the other actuator modules to turn the output shaft. In another post, I saw a mention of stretching the timing belts to alleviate a similar issue by loading the actuator module at several different angles. I was hoping to get an example of how this process was carried out so that I might replicate it to solve my issue.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

the easiest way is to connect all three motor phase wires and to move the output manually.
We are using 3 mating connectors of the motor phase wires that are soldered together at the end.
Attach a lower leg to the output and move it back and forth rapidly a couple of times - this generates a significant load on the transmission due to the generator effect.
You can now do a full turn on the output (or a half turn by repositioning the lower leg) and repeat the rapid motion to stretch the different regions of the timing belts.

If the actuator module still feels tight after this measure you might want to consider replacing the timing belt of the second stage with a different one that might be a bit looser.
If you are using the 3d printed belt tensioner rollers you can also decrease the roller diameter by 0,5mm and see how that feels.

You can find the STL files with different roller diameters here: STL Files Actuator Module

Best, Felix

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, as it turned out the tightness was not a result of the belts, but rather one of the phase wires coming from the motors breaking off and shorting the phases together.