Importing CAD files to SOLIDWORKS

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to import the Solo 8 e-drawing model and .stl part files into SOLIDWORKS so that they can be modified. I’ve tried opening the .stl part files as a Mesh File in SOLIDWORKS but when I do this the part only appears as a Graphic in SOLIDWORKS and can’t be modified. Is there another way to import the model and parts or is there a place where I can find the SOLIDWORKS files themselves?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
damuzila

Hi,
the stl and eDrawing files are mostly for viewing and 3d printing.
It’s inconvenient to modify those files because the feature history is lost.

We will provide the original Solidworks cad files for all our robots.

We have a new version of the 8dof quadruped - it’s 500g lighter and uses the new electronics consisting of the micro drivers and the master board.

You can find the Solidworks files here:

Let me know if you want the cad files for older version.

Best. Felix

Hi Felix,

We are thinking about choosing the older version of the 8dof body (v1) because of the protection the shell gives. We just need to remove the supports for TI cards and replace them with new supports for the custom electronic, therefore we would love the older CAD files.

In 8dofv2 we couldn’t find any holes for the vicon markers, did you create a different vicon addon for this model?

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

yes - you can choose the body version - the 2dof legs are compatible with both versions.
You can find the Solo8 v1 Solidworks files here now.

That’s right - I have added the Vicon marker attachments today.
You can find the top structure with vicon attachments here.

Best. Felix

Felix,

I am interested in modifying Bolt, but I do not see cad files that I can easily modify (only .stl). Im using Fusion360, and it seemed to use STEP files very well. If you could provide the files, that would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

you download the Bolt Solidworks CAD files here.

I think that Fusion360 supports the import of Solidworks files.
If that doesn’t work for you we could also provide STEP files.

Best. Felix

1 Like

I did some googling, and you can only import Solidworks files if you have the paid version of Fusion360, unfortunately I have the hobby version. Reason being that it requires the paid version to use Autodesk’s cloud services to convert the file. I would greatly appreciate the STEP files.

o.k. - I uploaded the Biped v1 CAD files in the STEP format.
You can find the files here.

1 Like