Simscape simulation

Hi, has anyone created a model of this in simscape?

Hi Vijay,

I am not aware what Simscape is or what exactly it is used for simulating. We use pybullet to simulate the robot. Hope that helps.

Best,
Julian

Hi Vijay,

The Solo team has URDF and associated STL files for the robot. It seems that you might be able to import that URDF into matlab/simscape, with reduced functionality.

From my time messing around URDFs, I don’t think that there should be any errors. Unfortunately, our team has also been using Pybullet; so I’m not 100% sure about the compatibility.

Good luck,
Ankur

Thanks for your replies. I could find the STL files but not the URDF. could you guide me to the link please? sorry for these basic questions, but I am just starting out on a project involving SOLO8 as part of my dissertation.

Thanks,

Hi Vijay,

you can find the URDF for solo8 and solo12 here: robot_properties_solo/src/robot_properties_solo/robot_properties_solo/pre_generated_urdf at master · open-dynamic-robot-initiative/robot_properties_solo · GitHub

Best,
Julian

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I have seen various posts on simulation and trying to piece together everything. However, is there a single repository to provide step by step instructions to simulate the Solo8? I am on a Windows 10 environment with a nVidia GTX processsor. Questions are:

• what software environment is required -do you need both, ROS2 and PyBullet?
  • does it need only the URDF code to run it or is there other supplementary code or patches required?
  • is there any set-up guide available on the forum?

Thanks for all your help,

Vijay

Hi Vijay,

for simulating solo8, take a look at this repo:

GitHub - open-dynamic-robot-initiative/robot_properties_solo

Once you follow the instructions in the readme, take a look at the files in the demos folder like this one;

robot_properties_solo/demo_simulate_solo8.py at master · open-dynamic-robot-initiative/robot_properties_solo · GitHub

You should be able to run the simulation using only PyBullet without ROS2. The installation should pull all the required software packages to get you started.

If you run into any troubles, let me know.

Best,
Julian

Julian, thanks for your help and prompt responses. I will try and let you know how I get on.

Vijay

I am pleased to say that I have managed to simulate Solo8 using Simscape, Simulink and MATLAB. I have done the jumping gait. it also offers a platform to further experiment with different components to build an optimised system. It is part of my dissertation at Bristol Robotics Lab, and will be shortly sharing the models on GitHub.

The modelling fidelity is at the level of controlling the motor parameters and measuring various electrical and mechanical parameters at the joint level. You can measure contact forces, friction, energy consumption for every sub-system.

I think it will further the cause of open source, since these simulation platforms atre quite opular in academia and industry.

1 Like

Is the github repo up?

Hi, not yet. Will be creating it in about 2 weeks time.

1 Like

Hi, Vijay, I have created the simscape Solo12 model. I used Simscape Multibody Contact Forces Library. If you have questions, please ask me, my contacts on the MATLAB page.

You can see my last posts with questions with current problem with my model and maybe you could help me. Dmitriy Ogureckiy - MATLAB Central (mathworks.com)

Link to the models:project - Google Drive soon I will supplement the model

1 Like