Rough cost to build the Solo-12 Robot

Hi All,

I am new here but am greatly interested in trying to build affordable consumer robots.

With this in mind and knowing that I am just getting started, I have found that the Boston Dynamics “Spot” is WAY too expensive at $75K each, and the MIT Cheetah is also still at over $10K due to the EX-80 motors that are over $300 each and for 12-DOF that is a HUGE problem for me.

So, maybe it might be reasonable from a price standpoint as well as a learning standpoint to look into building the Solo-12 with the great help of the ODRI community.

With this in mind, I wanted to get an idea as to the total build price of the Solo-12 robot and where I can get more information on it as well?

Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards and have a great weekend,
Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

the price of the robot is difficult to estimate since it will depend on the suppliers and machine shops that you use, the country you are in and the part quantities that you are ordering.

We have estimated the cost for our Solo12 robot at around 6300€ + tax.
That is not including the imu which is the most expensive part on the robot.
That is also not including the tools that you might need to buy if you don’t have them in your lab.
Like for example the helicoil tools or the Hirose crimping tool.

You can find more information here:
Bill of Materials Core Components
Bill of Materials Quadruped 12dof
Micro Driver Electronics
Master Board

Best Regards,
Felix

1 Like

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the estimate on the Solo-12 and I will keep this in mind going forward.

I really think that this robot could be used as a great base from which to build commodity home robotics and would just have to additionally think about what types of “functionality” a consumer might truly want to see and that a quadrupedal robot could provide.

The BD “Spot” robot can come with an additional ARM attachment that can perform various task but do not think that is practical for this size robot:

BD SPOT EXPLORER DIMENSIONS
Length = 1100 mm (43.3 in)
Width = 500 mm (19.7 in)
Height (Sitting) = 191 mm (7.5 in)
Default Height (Walking) = 610 mm (24.0 in)
Max Height (Walking) = 700 mm (27.6 in)
Min Height (Walking) = 520 mm (20.5 in)
Net mass/weight = 31.7 kg (69.9 lbs)

Spot also has a 605 Wh battery that lasts them for 90-minutes and takes 2-hours to recharge.

Mostly, I am just getting my feet wet here and think that probably the Solo-12 will be a good starting point after which a more complex robot can be built.

I also like the work that ODRI is doing with the Bipedal systems (open_robot_actuator_hardware/README.md at master · open-dynamic-robot-initiative/open_robot_actuator_hardware · GitHub) which has Bolt underway and may be good for a build after Solo-12 (modified) initially.

Cheers,
Lonnie

1 Like

Without CNC parts, which is possible it can cost between 3,000 to 5,000 usd.
That changes if you get discounts and change some stuff like IMU, encoders, where and how many controller boards, 3D printer, and the materials.

I sadly dont have money right now, so I could not build one myself.

Hi Renan,

that’s too bad - we have been making an effort to keep the cost as low as possible.
It’s pretty hard to reduce the component cost further without also reducing the capabilities of the robot.

True - ordering larger quantities will certainly help to bring the cost down- so teaming up with others as you are suggesting in this post is a good idea.

There has been a recent development that should help with getting the cnc machined parts.
I’ll describe that shortly.

Best. Felix

I wanted to also explore other alternatives like:

• Trading within the community.
  • Tokenizing robot time so researchers do not need to physically own the robot to develop their research.

Hi All,

In an effort to find viable motor alternatives, I have been able to get a connection for a similar, but not exactly the same motors:

the BMM914 Motor, BMM914-2, which is similar in shape to the T-Motor Antigravity 4004 300kV Brushless Motor you mentioned.

The size is larger and the performance is similar. Please check the following parameters and drawings:

Specs:

Stator diameter: 40.6mm

Stator height: 7.4mm ( after coating)

Rotor diameter: 50mm

shaft diameter:4mm

Stator Slots: 12

Pole: 14

End cover: 12*12mm

Total height: 23mm

mounting dimension: 16*19mm

lead wire length: 33mm

Test result:

I think that I can get these at very reasonable prices, but am discussing it now.

What is the price that you are paying for the T-Motor Antigravity 4004 300kV Brushless Motor?

Perhaps this new motor will work just as well.
Cheers,
Lonnie

1 Like

Hi Lonnie,

thanks for proposing the other motor. Somehow your pictures are not showing up in your last post.

What is the price that you are paying for the T-Motor Antigravity 4004 300kV Brushless Motor?

The price for a kit of two T-Motor Antigravity 4004 300kV Brushless Motor is roughly USD 145.

Best,
Julian

@jviereck As a test, please let me know if this shows up:

and

and

I think that I can get them for 1/2 (maybe even less, or between USD 70 - 80 for two) of what you are paying now which I think you mentioned was USD 145.

For me, the challenge is the 3D printing as I do not have access to it and know that if I go to an online service then it will be extremely expensive.

Cheers,
Lonnie

1 Like

Hi Lonnie,

yes, the images show up.

Best,
Julian

Awesome to hear.

I’m going to work out the details with the supplier if anyone may be interested.

One small step for economical builds, one larger step for robots!!!

Cheers,
Lonnie

Why don’t you build one component at a time?

I’m not funded by anyone but myself, so I don’t have a deadline. At this stage, you treat it like a business. Get the essentials you need first with the cash you have, no credit cards. I’m not going into debt for mine. I’m just having fun.

For example, I started with just a 3d printer, learned that. I’m buying things as I need, and with what I can get in the US (seems like belts and bearings are slightly different sizes here).

I’m taking mine SLOOOOOOW