Operating and Max Current

Hey all! As I’m getting closer to finishing up building the mechanical side of a Bolt I’m starting to wonder about the electronics more and more. My question is what is the general operating current that you see when Bolt is walking around? Is there a max amperage draw/spike I should watch out for in the future?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Roy,

We set the maximum current of 12 for the walking of Bolt, for all the joints, and we never exceeded this limit. Basically this current corresponds to the output torque of around 2.5 N.m at the joint output.

Best,.
Majid

3 Likes

Im starting to develop Bolt as well, I would like to have it walking without a tether too. Having 12 Amps as the max current is great, but what was the normal draw? Im trying to find what the smallest battery I can have is.

Hi,
we haven’t measured the power consumption of the Bolt robot.
But @thomas.flayols has reported that Solo12 consumes about 60Watts on average for the trotting gait. So I would estimate that the Bolt robot would consume about 40-50 Watts on average for walking.

We selected X-Cube 850mAh batteries for the Solo12 robot - I think those or similar batteries should work fine for the biped robot as well.
You’ll want use two batteries in series to get a supply voltage of 24V.
You should also use a power management board - I have been told that connecting Lipo batteries directly to the motor driver cards can cause damage.

1 Like