Masterboard make menuconfig issues & flashing red

Hello! I recently was able to successfully flash a masterboard v2 (with the caveat of having to manually change the default baud rates in esp-idf to 115200 bps instead of 2Mbps).

I was also able to successfully view the results of ‘make monitor’ with the same readout as seen in this very useful blogpost [https://easybuildtech.com/odri-bolt-preparing-the-masterboard-v2/] from Easy Build Technology.

However, when I try make menuconfig I am faced with the following error:

Toolchain path: /home/roy/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2019r2-8.2.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: esp-2019r2
Expected to see version: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
WARNING: Compiler version is not supported: 8.2.0
Expected to see version(s): 5.2.0
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
/home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/check_python_dependencies.py:22: DeprecationWarning: pkg_resources is deprecated as an API. See https://setuptools.pypa.io/en/latest/pkg_resources.html
  import pkg_resources
Python requirements from /home/roy/esp/esp-idf/requirements.txt are satisfied.
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/kconfig'
cc -c -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -DNCURSES_WIDECHAR=1 -DLOCALE -MMD  /home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/kconfig/mconf.c -o mconf.o
as: unrecognized option '--64'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:171: mconf.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/kconfig'
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/kconfig/conf-idf', needed by '/home/roy/esp/esp-idf/tools/kconfig/mconf-idf'.  Stop.

I noticed that there was a github issue that also mentioned this, but there is no reply. My masterboard is also flashing red unlike in Easy Build Tech’s blogpost and I’m not sure why/if that is a bad thing.

I have not yet tested the masterboard with an ethernet cord connected (still making the robot interface cable) and I am not sure if I need one for make menuconfig to interact correctly.

Thank you!

Hello,

The fact that menuconfig is broken with the new idf + previous commit in unfortunate and frustrating,
If someone finds a solution, I would be very happy to merge it.

For your particular issue, you don’t really have to change anything in menuconfig I think. For Easy Build Tech’s blogpost, He had to change the baudrate because the programmer board he used had a low speed usb uart chipset not able to reach the default 2Mbps.