Feasibility of using an 3DM-CV5-10 IMU instead of the 3DM-CX5-25

Hi all!

Just wanted to say I love what ODRI has been doing and I’ve been looking into building a Bolt for education purposes :slight_smile:

I’m not too knowledgeable about these industry-grade IMU’s and so I was wondering if it would be possible to use a cheaper 3DM-CV5-10 IMU instead of the 3DM-CX5-25. After reading around the posts here it looks like I should be careful of the protocol and interface that these two may have different? According to Mouser Electronics, their operating specs are quite similar in terms of voltage required, interface type (both use serial?). Is there anything else I should be wary of? I’m guessing that hoping that the cheaper CV5-10 working out of the box to the master board might be too idealistic haha.

Thank you very much for the help and apologies for asking such a simple question like this one.

Hi Roy,

I think the 3DM-CV5-10 should work with minor changes to the master board firmware (probably none, since the protocol is the same). The electrical interface is identical.
The major difference between the two versions is that the CV5 doesn’t include an EKF filter, which is able to output roll pitch angle of the robot together with a gravity compensated acceleration. With the CV5 you will only have the raw accelerometer and gyroscope output. Also, the accelerometer of the CV5 is less accurate.

For a long time, I wanted to try to interface a bosh BMI088 directly on the master board to allow a cheaper option. This is unfortunately delayed since this IMU is out of stock everywhere.

Best, Thomas.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast response Thomas!

Hmmm would you say it’s not too practical to self-implement an EKF to get roll pitch angle with gravity compensation?

That’s a shame to hear that BMI088 IMU is so hard to get nowadays. Perhaps I shall work on the rest of the robot for now and just pray that the BMI088 stock returns.

Is a revision of the master board to interface a BMI088 a feature that’s close to the end of the queue of TODOs over for the ODRI?

Thanks again!