Any alternatives for IMU Lord Microstrain 3DM-GX5-25

Hi, friends!

I’m new here :slight_smile:
At first, thanks ODRI team for such a work and sharing a lot of material :slight_smile:

We are starting on building Teststand Leg, and I have a question.

Maybe someone tried to use another IMU sensor instead of Lord Microstrain 3DM-GX5-25?

Hello and welcome,

To my knowledge, nobody tried different IMU on our robot.

It is possible in theory to interface with a different IMU, but this will require some development inside the master-board firmware.

You will have to choose an IMU that is able to stream his data via UART, or you could also plug an SPI IMU in one of the available ports of the master board.

Then the choice of the IMU really depends on the experiment you are targeting. A low-cost IMU will of course provide less accurate data…

Let us know if you plan to interface with a different IMU, we might me able to help you with that.

Best,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi,

we’re actually planning on using a 3DM-GX5-25… note that Solo is designed for the CX5 IMU.
To use the GX5 we need to take the supply voltage from the power supply externally since the master board only provides 3.3v and the GX5 needs a minimum of 4.0v and we’re using a small converter for the GX5 to be able to communicate with the masterboard. This converter is the following: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07ZDK4BLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve slightly adjusted the stl file for holding the IMU as the GX5 is connected with two bolts on the side instead of the 3 bolts with which the CX5 is connected. in case anyone is interested I can share this stl, not sure if I can upload this to the github as well…

I’ll let you know once we’ve managed to get this IMU working with solo.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, Curious if the 3DM-GX5-25 option ended up panning out, Thanks