Encoder discs index

Not sure if mechanics is the right category for this, but we seem to have one codewheel that we cannot seem to index.

Any other people have had the same issue or can explain it?

The codehweel doesn’t seem to be damaged and it it working since we’re getting the position from the encoder, but it’s not reading the index

We have one spare left, but it’s quite scratched so I’m not sure it’ll work…

Thanks,

Chundri

short update from my side:

I took the codewheel from the joint where I was not getting the index and replaced it with an codewheeel that was confirmed to be working.

Result is that the codewheel that was not getting the index was now working and vice versa. This leads me to believe that it might be caused by the encoder itself… which is a bit more cumbersome to replace so for now we’re looking into a way of using the robot without indexing the encoders.

In case somebody here can confirm it is the encoder I need to replace or the first time we need to do bigger maintenance on the robot I’ll replace the encoder and see whether this is the issue.

Thanks

Hello Chundri,

it’s most likely a connectivity issue.
I would recommend to check the encoder wire and the encoder connector.

Best. Felix

Ciao Felix,

it turns out that the orange wire is responsible for the indexing of the codewheel had a poorly crimped terminal. Sometimes it would connect and other times it wouldn’t… I had actually checked all connections, but did not find anything, because when I checked it was actually making contact.

However, after replacing it now all works again.

Seems like I did choose the incorrect category after all, should be in electronics :wink:

Grazie,

Chundri

Ciao Chundri,

o.k. great - I am glad that you found the problem.

Happy New Year and best wishes.
Felix

1 Like