Solo8 Can communication

Hello we are college students making solo8.
We finished all hardware stuff and now we are working on software.
We followed ODRI Firmware for uDriver Boards — ODRI Firmware for uDriver Boards 1.0.0 documentation.
Using mw_gui_universal, we debugged mw_dual_motor_ctrl.
We can initiate the motor through gui but there are no any other movements. Just a little flinching in a brief moments when we run the motor.
Next we followed can communication guide step by step. And our boards successfully communicated via can.
We can start the motor and give them reference currents. Through gui we can check the iq we give.
We want to rotate or move our motor but we dont know how. What should we do next?

Hello,
I am not sure I understand you correctly. You are able to set a reference current but this does not result in the motor to move?

If you already set up the mw_gui_universal, an easy way to get the motor to spin (e.g. for testing if it is working), is to

1. run the board in CCS with the GUI,
  2. enable the motor,
  3. disable the “IqRef from CAN” button at the top (otherwise current commands from the gui are ignored!), and
  4. set a reference current in the upper part of the “Torque Controller” tab (best by setting an explicit value in the number field, the gauge or slider can get out of control easily). I think a value around 0.3 should already be enough to spin a motor if there is no additional load. If not increase step by step.

When following these steps, what is the behaviour you are getting?

@fgrimminger Can you please check if my instructions make sense or I’m missing anything? I haven’t used the GUI myself in a while.

Hello,
yes - the instructions make sense - I added a couple of steps and a screenshot.

1. run the board in CCS with the GUI,
  2. Press “Enable System”
  3. disable the “IqRef from CAN” button at the top (otherwise current commands from the gui are ignored!), and
  4. Press the “Run Motor J1” button - this is for finding the magnetic orientation of the rotor
    The rotor will move a bit and the status will change to “Aligning” for a couple of seconds and then to “Ready” - you shouldn’t block or move the rotor during the alignment process
  5. Choose the “Torque Controller” Tab
  6. I like to use the spring mode to test motors - for that you need to enable the “Spring mode”
    If you now displace and release the rotor it should act like a spring and should start to oscillate
  7. Alternatively you can set a reference current in the upper part of the “Torque Controller” tab (best by setting an explicit value in the number field, the gauge or slider can get out of control easily). I think a value around 0.3 should already be enough to spin a motor if there is no additional load. If not increase step by step.

If the motor doesn’t move as expected it’s most likely that the motor phase order is inverted.
In that case the rotor will get “stuck” every couple of degrees if you move it by hand.
To fix this you’ll need to power down the card, switch two of the motor phases (for example A=>B and B=>A) and try it again.